1 tablesp Olive oil
1 large chopped onion
3 cloves of garlic chopped
1 large cup of Paella/Arborio Rice
100g mushrooms sliced
good handful of fresh parsley roughly chopped
2 tablesp white wine vinegar
1 vegetable stock cube crumbled
1 teasp turmeric
100g grated cheddar cheese
50g grated parmesan
1. Heat the oven to 200 degrees, use the conventional oven setting; we used our smaller 40cm oven.
2. Heat the oil in a cast iron, hob to oven pan, sweat onions and garlic until translucent, the wok burner gets it hot and sizzling quickly with a large based pan.
3. Add rice, sliced mushroom, turmeric, crumbled vegetable stock cube, white wine vinegar. Give it a good stir to mix. Add 3 parts of the cheese (Keep some back for sprinkling on top when it goes in the oven) and the chopped parsley just before the boiling water is added.
4. Pour in boiling water to 5mm from top of the pan, gently stir once, simmer until the water is just covering the rice. Sprinkle on remaining grated cheese.
5. When oven temperature is reached reduce to 175 degrees, the conventional oven setting will cook the dish in a ‘Range’ style.
6. Put pan carefully in the oven and set minute minder for 10 mins.
The result should be crispy on top, fluffy in the middle with a slightly crispy cheesy base. Yummy!
We had this for a mid week supper dish, good served with a salad and a spoonful of natural Greek yoghurt.
The dish is equally good served hot or cold, in fact Darrell had the remainder the next day for lunch between two service calls.
Darrell and Sue Atherton